Growing up, we always had pizza at least once a week - usually Saturday lunches or Sunday nights before another long week began. And over those weeks we perfected our pizza dough recipe to perfection.
The Perfect Pizza Dough is surprisingly easy. When adventuring out on my own, I hesitated with the amount of "work" I thought I'd need to do to make a good pizza dough. More than that, I didn't want to bother "learning" something new, and preferred just paying a premium to get a dough at my favorite pizzeria. But, you remember when you first made your own eggs? Then maybe your own tea, or sandwich? Unless you were too rich and weren't lucky enough to go into the kitchen on your own, then you probably remember feeling pretty great about yourself, maybe not THAT great, but subconsciously, you knew you were the "boss". That's how you feel when you learn to make pizza dough, and because the learning curve is equivalent to an ant hill, you'll have one extra tool in your toolkit that your friends were too busy to bother learning.
The 'Go To' Recipe - 10 minute no fuss versatile pizza dough:
1. In a bowl, combine 1 cup warm water, 1 tsp instant yeast and 1 tsp sugar. Once combined, let it sit until the mixture foams to the top (approx. 5 mins). First step, EASY.
2. In a food processor (plastic blade or dough hook) do a few pulses to combine 2 cups all-purpose flour and 1 tsp salt. Food processor was a bit of a pain, but ONWARD!
3. Now increase speed to medium and add the mixture from Step 1, keep it mixing until a soft ball forms. OK, back to easy!
4. Sprinkle flour over your table top, take out the soft ball and begin to knead a few times until dough is soft. OK. OK.
5. Lighly oil a bowl with olive oil, add the soft ball dough and brush the top with oil, and then cover with a clean cloth/plastic wrap and let sit for 30 mins in a warm place. Done! Now whats next?
5. The dough has risen, take it out and cut the dough in half, and use one and refrigerate the other, or use 'em both.
For instructions on how to do the above with a Vitamix, check out our latest post by clicking here.
For an ama-zong Gluten-Free version, DO:
1. In a bowl, combine 1 tbsp instant yeast with 3/4 cup (180ml) of warm water. Once combined, let sit until mixture foams to the top (approx. 5 mins), adding 1 tbsp of sugar at the half way mark. First step, EASY!
2. In another bowl, whisk together 3 cups of gluten-free flour (example: 1 cup white rice flour +1 cup brown rice flour + 1 cup tapioca flour + 3/4 tsp xanthan gum), 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp baking powder, and 2 tbsp of sugar. OK OK.
3. Make a well in the dry mixture, add the yeast mixture from step 1 into this well, then add 1 tbsp olive oil and another 1/2 cup of warm water (120ml) and stir. EASY PEASY.
4. Now that the dough is ready, you will need to precook this dough before adding your favorite toppings. Bake in the oven at 350F for approx. 25-30 mins or until dough looks dry/may crack. YEAH!
5. Now you are ready to take out the dough, add your sauce, toppings and cheese, and cook it off to perfection for another 20-30 mins in the oven.
New York-Style Pizza Crust:
If you are following our Classic New York-style Pizza recipe, then you'll want a more oily dough. Follow these steps:
1. Add 4 1/2 cups flour, 1 1/2 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp salt, and 2 tsp instant yeast in a food processor
2. Pulse food processor 3 to 4 times (if your using a Vitamix, turn it ON/OFF to pulse - Click here to read more about how to use Vitamix for making the Perfect Pizza Dough)
3. Now, add 3 tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil and 1 3/4 cups of lukewarm water.
4. Pulse food processor about 30 times and you will see a soft ball forming.
5. Do another 10-15 pulses and the ball will jump up, over the blades. Quickly transfer the ball onto a floured surface.
6. With floured hands, knead the dough 2-3 times by hand to form a smooth ball.
7. Place dough in a zip-lock bag and place in the fridge (not freezer!) for 1 day. 8. Remember, the balls are good for up to 5 days, and you will need to leave it out to rest at room temperature for at least 2 hours before using!