If you haven't already, read our previous post on using a Cast-Iron and how to season them. Nothing beats a deep dish pizza, and trust me, this recipe is going to be awesome and its adapted from the king himself, Emeril Lagassi! Every time I make it, I get rave reviews on how perfect the crust is - perfect burn marks on the crust and on the bottom, every time.
Off we go
1. First things first, rub the cast-iron with olive oil (not extra virgin, as we don't want that the oil to burn). Secret-tip: rubbing a clove of garlic over the oil will add more flavor to your finished dish!
2. Then add the dough (check out our inside scoop on the perfect dough here).
3. Spread out the dough to cover the entire pan and allow for a 1-inch tall crust up the sides.
4. Add half of the Cheese, then top with your favourite toppings, then add the Sauce (click here for a really quick, simple recipe), then finally top it off with the other half of the cheese. At this point you can also sprinkle on some Italian seasoning and parm, if you want.
1. Preheat oven to 500F. In this case, you probably don't want to preheat the Cast-Iron as you will need to take it out to lay out your pizza. However, if you do preheat it, you'll need to have your dough rolled out and ready to go.
2. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until you see the crust golden brown and the cheese and sauce are extra bubbly.
3. Take the Cast-Iron Pizza out of the oven and let rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting, then feast!
For this recipe, grilling or roasting your large toppings will make the pizza a lot more savory. Items that work best for this dish include: chunks of sausages, bacon, cherry tomatoes, eggplants, red onions, green or red peppers, mushrooms.
1. In a large bowl, toss your chopped vegetables or meats in olive oil, then transfer to a baking sheet or on our Non-Stick BBQ Grill mat
2. Grill or broil on the top rack of the oven for 4-6 minutes, turning the items for even cooking.
3. Set aside to add to your Deep Dish Pizza.
Items used:- Olive oil
- Pizza dough (see our recipe)
- 1/2 cup Pizza sauce (see our recipe)
- 1 cup of mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning (optional)
- Grated parmesan cheese (optional)